Gilda's Club South Florida is a FREE cancer support community for anyone who has been touched by cancer. Occasionally, volunteers are needed to assist in a variety of activities that ensure that Gilda's Club will always be a support to those in need. We accept volunteers ages 18 and older. If you would like more information, please call 954-763-6776.
Areas of Need:
Events are held regularly at the Clubhouse to provide both social and supportive activities to members. Volunteers are needed to assist with setting up, assisting with registration and seating, directing parking, and cleaning up. Specific events include:
- Ask the Expert Lectures & Seminars - Held throughout the year.
- Workshops - Held regularly throughout the year. Individuals are needed to volunteer as facilitators for workshops such as photography, art, painting, etc.
- Day of Wellness - Held in February.
- Research and Hope - Held in March. *Held in the community and NOT at the Clubhouse.
- Pot Luck Suppers, Holiday Parties, etc. - Held periodically throughout the year.
Volunteer support is essential in helping to keep the Clubhouse running smoothly. Volunteers are needed during business hours to assist with filing, answering phones, making phone calls, stuffing envelopes, and other helpful tasks. Computer knowledge is helpful but not necessary. Any amount of time volunteered is helpful. Specific volunteer opportunities include:
- Librarian - Needed 1x a week to help maintain the Clubhouse library.
- Office Volunteer - Needed 1x a week to assist with filing.
- Receptionist - Needed on occasion during business hours; sometimes for an extended period of time.
- Program Support Volunteer - Needed 1x a week to assist with calling members about upcoming events and activities.
- Program Greeter - Needed Fridays between 9:00 am - 3:00 pm to greet new members and show them around the Clubhouse.
Gilda's Club relies on the generosity of our community to provide the funds required to support our programs. Volunteers are needed to help at fundraising events with duties such as selling raffle tickets, assisting with the auction, working registration and/or check out, and assisting with set up and clean up. This role directly impacts the success of these events.
Volunteers are sometimes needed to act as ambassadors of Gilda's Club South Florida. Outreach volunteers are needed on occasion to accompany Gilda's Club staff members to health fairs, conferences, or at educational seminars held throughout the community to represent the organization/man a booth. Volunteers are also occasionally needed to drop off informational materials on Gilda's Club programs to hospitals or doctor's offices as a resource.
Noogieland is both a concept and a place where children and teens find that they are never alone with a cancer diagnosis. Although there is not an ongoing need for volunteers in Noogieland, volunteers are needed to assist with special activities that are both fun and supportive. Please note that a background check is required as this position involves working with children and teens. Specific opportunities for volunteers are:
- Noogiefest - Our annual Halloween Party held in October.
- Super Saturday - Held 1x per month.
Join an Auxiliary Group
Gilda's Club South Florida is fortunate to have the support of two auxiliary groups that are dedicated to raising awareness and funds for Gilda's Club.
- Emerging Leaders - A group of community-minded leaders ages 21 to 45 who are dedicated to raising awareness and funds for Gilda's Club.
- Friends of Gilda's- This network of vibrant women are dedicated to expanding awareness and support for Gilda's Club South Florida.
Members are encouraged to focus on their individual journey. It is a requirement that members are post-treatment for at least one year prior to pursuing volunteer opportunities. Please note that volunteer placement is subject to the discretion of Gilda's Club South Florida staff and may require a doctor's note.
Please note that the current need at Gilda's Club South Florida is for volunteers age 18+.